The Wheeling Park Commission was enacted into law on January 26, 1925 in the form of an
amendment to the City of Wheeling Charter after presentation to the West Virginia state legislature
by Senators Wright Hugus and Harry Weiss.
When the formal transfer of the property to the city took place in April 1925, members of the
newly-created Wheeling Park Commission were already hard at work transforming the old amusement park
into a useable recreation area. Wheeling Park opened to the public on Memorial Day - May 30, 1925.
More than ten thousand people turned out to enjoy a band concert, picnicking, the playground, and
Wheeling's first public park was an instant success. On the July 4, 1925, twenty thousand people and
five thousand automobiles passed through the gates. From the beginning, gifts from thousands of local
citizens helped to provide the recreational and cultural facilities and programs that benefited the